Monday, June 7, 2010

Sandwiches on The Subway


Good Evening Followers!

Today was my first day at MoMA. My subway journey is not too terrible, I take the 6 to 51st, the E to the 5th and 54th stop, and the walk to MoMA is about 2 minutes. However I would like to point out are some key differences between the London Tube and the NY Subway:
  • 96% of Londoners appear to be friendly, presentable and literate...15% of NY subway riders display these qualities
  • New Yorkers represent a melting pot of odors, levels of sanity, as well as varying lengths of armpit hair in your face (regardless of gender)
  • Escalator and stair etiquette is completely disregarded in NY
  • In NY extremely overweight, terrifying looking old men walk up and down the train cars with a cooler trying to sell you sandwiches (which are most likely infused with either drugs or diseases) <--This actually happened to me on my way home today
  • One thing they do have in common, and also happens to be one of my favorite ways to gauge if we live in a decent human society, is that commuters on both the subway and tube will assist women with babies in strollers without a second thought by helping them carry the stroller up the stairs....touches my heart every time
Fast fwd to work. Out of 44 interns, there are 2 males and 2 people from the Midwest (myself included). Everyone I met today was extremely nice and I only saw a couple potential SmallWoodians so that is good news. I met with my supervisor, William, in the Sculpture Garden (see picture) for an hour today to talk about my internship and what I will be doing this summer. I won't meet William's boss, Ruth, until next week as she is in Toyko on business!

I grabbed some lunch at a cafe on 54th street and sat outside while I chatted with Morgan and compared her to Mookie and Nolan. After lunch I returned to the Sculpture Garden to complete some readings that William gave me... a really interesting piece on what constitutes good design and bad design by Anthony Bertram and a graduation speech given by Glenn D Lowry (the MoMA Director) in 2005 that absolutely puts Quincy Jones "speech" to shame.

"The two most important observations are that serendipity is a powerful force to be courted not countered and the second is that you should always be guided by waht truly engages you intellectually and emotionally." -Mr. Lowry

I think I will like my job very much :)

xx

Haley






1 comment:

  1. "I grabbed some lunch at a cafe on 54th street and sat outside while I chatted with Morgan and compared her to Mookie and Nolan."

    This sentence is plopped down on the page and then never picked up again. It really needs to be expounded upon.

    haha

    ReplyDelete