Thursday, January 22, 2009

Expanding My British Dictionary

Hi friends...I have some new British phrases that I learned today:
  • Dog's breakfast- a mess or muddle
  • Dog's dinner- dressed or displayed in an ostentatiously smart manner
  • Dog's bollocks- excellent - the absolute apex...important to make a note that bollocks itself means testicles. (the Brits are so odd)
  • Nappys- diapers
  • Row- most up to date Harry Potter readers would recognize this word, meaning fight or disagreement, however what I found interesting today is that it isn't pronouced Row as in the thing you do in a boat, but Row as in rhyming with Cow.
Today we sat through 3 hours of lecture on the European Union and British politics, aka British torture round two. I also learned I am a complete idiot today, which is always humbling. We took a 10 question quiz on the EU and I got two right...from guessing. Wow. My daily two hour tube time just transformed into two hour newpaper reading time.

I would now like to transition into dresscode. As I was warned, everyone here is always put together. Even if they are not super trendy glamazons, they are still a very well managed population. I have been here for a little over a week and am already used to not seeing t-shirts, sweat pants, and dirty tennis shoes. The tube rides are such a fabulous time to observe trends. All the men wear long peacoats with scarves...oh my lanta the scarves in this city--short ones, long ones, some as big as your head. Literally. Yesterday we saw some super trendy lady wearing a scarf as wide as and maybe 12 ft long, she was obviously fabulous.

Tomorrow is class registration day and a short orientation at the gallery, whoopie. This weekend we have plans to do some touristy things; check out the London Eye, some museums (hopefully the Tate Modern), Brick Lane market (where I hear they have a 24 hr bagel store!!) etc. Tonights the date with my Frenchman and as seen from the previous blog postings I understand Scott and Jill are a little worried, so I promise to be extra cautious and "aware of my surroundings" a favorite quotation by Mr. Scott Marsh.

All for now. Love love!

3 comments:

  1. Scotter says...Well isn't that the dogs bollocks...what the hell are these dog ratings...good, better, best??? Oh well soak it all up honey...guess the tube will be your second school for human observation and UK current affairs.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So with the scarves, do they tie them in a bow, or tie them in a knot!?!? Have fun with that 2 hour commute to work and what not, that kinda sucks. I hope you have some good music on your ipod!

    ReplyDelete