Sunday, June 13, 2010

Life Lessons
















Hello All

Weekend number two in the big apple will be characterized as a series of learning experiences.

#1. Remember identification when attempting to consume alcoholic beverages.
Thursday evening Russell and I traveled down to Avenue A and 1st St (also known as very far away from 97th and 3rd) to meet up with Erin for some after work (her not me) drinks. This around the time I realize I had forgotten my ID. Therefore, our first choice in alcoholic establishments was out of the question. Plan B let me into the bar because the bouncer "had empathy for the youth." haha whatever that means.

#2. Do not lose important entry mechanisms.
Long story short, went to a club Friday night. Pregamed (hard, maybe too hard) at Granny's beforehand with Russell and another study abroad friend, Joe. Had a grand old time at the bar, but somehow managed to lose my 'get into home card.' Got that situation settled at the front door, however, I'm sure the sir or maam that let me up at 3:00am was not too excited about it.

#3. Do not eat street meat when hungover.
Saturday morning we waited in line outside of Nevada Smiths for an hour and a half. Clearly, I got hungry while waiting in line and drinking out of my special Captain and Coke concoction, so I purchased a street meat shishkabob. This street meat shishkabob did not settle with my stomach. Two hours later, once settled in at a new (not Nevada Smiths) but still a lot of fun bar with our new friends we had made while waiting in line at Nevada Smiths, my food decided it didn't want to be inside of my stomach anymore. After puking in the bathroom I realized it would be a wise choice to go home and rest. And rest is what I did.

This rest was interrupted by Team Midwest, packing up all of Erin's things. My new friend with lots of potential is back in Ohio with a broken shin bone. Sadness.

Sunday, after aforementioned mistakes, I decided to be a productive member of society. I woke up, went to the Guggenheim museum which was fabulous! It was the Puerto Rican festival today so there were cops at every subway and corner, because apparently those kids get a little crazy during festival hours. Either way it made for entertaining subway rides. After the Gug I met up with Kemma at Madison Sq Park and her friend for the "Big Apple BBQ Block Party" which was quite tasty! Afterwards I even managed to thwart off the temptations of purchasing something at American Apparel and went home and finished up some stuff for work tomorrow!

In conclusion, this weekend I learned some valuable life lessons about responsibility and street meat.

4 comments:

  1. Besides the humor of "street meat" (can you say that and not chuckle?), it sounds like you've acculturated quickly! Meeting friends in line, finding fun on the Subway, joining in with street festivals, buying and puking street meat -- you sound like a local! (And if you notice that a.m. stench in the city, I think others might not be able to stomach the street meat either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. saturday morning mix of captn and coke?! jill would be proud. mair and gram would not. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. puked in the bathroom did you?? Hmm not how I heard it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post has a few, shall we say, stretches of the truth.

    ReplyDelete