Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mermaid Parades and Chicken Nuggets
























Hi Team...

I've had a very successful weekend since we last spoke. Thursday Alex and I met up at Juan's (aka my new home for the last two weeks of August) and then went out for the Lakers Celtics game at a 3 story sports bar which was quite entertaining. Juan's (drunk) brother decided to inform me that the bracelets I was wearing made me look like I was from Brooklyn. Either I'm not integrated enough in the Manhattan know how to understand what a Brooklyn bracelet looks like, or he was drunk. I prefer the latter option.

Friday Jess (intern friend) plus Melissa (friend visiting Jess for the weekend) met up with David and his crew at a bar where everyone drinks from large fishbowls of who knows exactly what. Ended up crashing at Josh's place which made for an entertaining stroll home at 9:30 in the morning sporting high heels and a short dress with sequins.

After the walk of shame I climbed into bed expecting to catch a couple more zzz's before beginning my next adventure. However, some Spanish religious parade taking place right outside my window had other plans for me. So I went downstairs to check out the racket (after showering and changing to fit in with the rest of society) watched a choreographed child sized Latina dance routine and got a slice of pizza. Circa noon time my neighbor friend Alex calls me and we decide to make the pilgrimage to Coney Island for the 2010 Mermaid Parade, which was described to me as New York's version of Mardi Gras.

Unbelievable is one word that comes to mind when attempting to describe this event. Hopefully the pictures will serve as a better tool of explanation than my words. We pushed through the crowd and watched the parade for a bit before heading to the less than clean over populated beach where the standard occupant has the ability to mortify a small child. We laid out and people watched for an hour or so then I headed back to the city to pick up Chad. What an adventure. I am interested in going to Coney Island again and experiencing it with less transvestite mermaids.

Chad and I had a wonderful evening. Starting with drinks in midtown with one of his British friends he made while working in Parliament who had been on "holiday" for the past 3 weeks. Europe and their vacation time. We told him that two weeks is standard in America, he was appalled. After drinks we met Josh and a couple of his friends at some swanky outdoor place in MeatPacking. I recognized one of the girls from my year in Isreal aka Smallwood. She asked me who I lived with, and apparently I'm not the only person who has beef with Olivia Lichaa. After spot number 2 we went to a dance/club/bar place called the BrassMonkey. Chad and I danced our faces off and ended the evening with a nice plate of microwaved chicken nuggets.

Today Alex and I hung out in Central Park for a couple hours, got rained on, so we went back to his place and watched some Entourage. I met up with Erin at Granny's this evening. We cooked a wonderful meal of chicken, peas, and crescent rolls. We had a very relaxing time catching up, dining on the terrace, and watching the sunset.

Tough life.

3 comments:

  1. Compared to your adventures all I have is Mario being escorted back to our piers by two of Syracuse Lake finest Sheriff's boats. We need to work on our adventures...maybe your brother and cousins husband will spice things up over the Forth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all I can tell you! Sounds like you are getting to know your way around the city. Take it all in /Baby Girl. So proud of you. Watch out for the fish bowl drinking!! Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halester,
    You are an amazing writer. Love reading these adventures. Scotter met The Boston nose to nose last night when she, the dog, jumped off the pier, over Scotter in his kyack, and into the water in a frisbee chase!
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete