Hello friends and family,I have decided to reinstate my blogging activities because I know you have been missing my witty banter. Additionally, Mr. and Mrs. Guy have given me the confidence to reconnect with social media by insisting that I was a fantastic blogger.
Let me catch you up to speed on my days in the "big apple." After a fabulous 12 hour drive with Scotter and Jillian and one amazing parking job by the traveling beret herself, we arrived at 1760 3rd Avenue, aka my new home. For all of you who may not be too familiar with the city I am living in the "upper east side" (see image to right) My place is very nice I have two roommates: Kemma originally from Nigeria, goes to school in Iowa, currently interning at Credit Suisse and Erin, originally from Ohio, lived on the upper west side last semester for school and currently interning at Lucky magazine. Both very nice, slightly reserved, and 20 years of age. Phew! No psycho/dirty/annoying weirdos!
My first day in the city consisted of Erin (college friend Erin not roommate Erin) and I going to one of the 13 H&M's of the city to exchange a dress I had purchased in Indiana for two new ones (obviously). H&M alone was an exhausting experience as we waited in an enormous line to both try on and purchase the aforementioned items of clothing. But, being the energetic young women that we are, we then decided to people watch in Central Park for a bit and visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Interesting tidbit about The Met. Recommended price of admission is $10 (which I paid in full as I support the arts) However, the ticket man informed me that you are allowed to pay whatever amount touches you. I ask, "so you say 'recommended price is $10' and they say 'lets make it $5 this time'" He responds,"absolutely, New Yorkers think they own this place and demand tickets for 25 cents." hmmm....
Thursday night Erin and I watched the Celtics Lakers game at a bar close to my spot called Brother Jimmy's with Zach and a couple of his friends (also known as the last time I will see Zach Lichaa this summer as he is absolutely not okay establishing a friendship) Whatever.
Friday day Erin and I got our tan on at Granny Sally's 18th floor terrace on 72nd and 2nd avenue. Tough life. Friday night we met up with Russell (a kid we studied abroad with) who was staying at his cousin's place for the weekend. Erin and I have quickly discovered that a) you cannot buy liquor at a CVS/grocery store etc in NYC and b) liquor tax is expensive! We began the evening at a BYOB sushi bar (who knew places like this even existed!?) where we met Russell's cousin Alex and his two friends. Also known as the time where Erin and I finished a bottle of rum. After BYOB sushi was over, we went to 49 Grove in the meatpacking district (again refer to map) which is where all the cool/trendy/wait in line and pay way too much for drinks clubs are. On the walk over to the sushi bar a gay black man and his friend approached me on the street and said "girl, you are working that skirt, and your legs are looking amazing" I reply: "Thanks! You go girl!!" We had a grand old time there, circa 2:00am ish Erin and I decide we would like to finish our evening and take a cab back to Granny's (and obviously stop at a pizza place around the corner before heading to the apartment.)
Saturday morning...wake up on Granny's 1972 floral couch and realize that I have to walk home in my skin tight black t shirt, short white skirt, and 3 inch heels through a (as they call it in London) "yummy mummy" neighborhood. aka rich white people walking their dogs and small children after finishing brunch. Great.
After a mortifying journey home, I receive a text message from my new friend (and neighbor as it turns out) Alex: "hey, wanna grab some breakfast." Me: "Duh." So I shower and go out to breakfast with Russell, Alex, and friend. We then went back to Alex's place (which is soooooooo nice and a block away from me!) and watched a movie. Walked back home around 4 o clock when an extremely overweight, greasy haired man says in a thick New York/Jersey accent "Ey, I like your outfit." Me: "thank you!" Him: "You're welcome" haha and people said New Yorkers were rude!
Saturday night I call my friend Josh Fishman who I hung out with a lot during I-Core. He is in the 3/2 Accounting MBA program at IU and is interning here for the summer. I decide I want to laugh so we go to The Comic Strip Live comedy club on 82nd and 2nd. We go to a tequila bar beforehand (as it is extremely important to be slightly intoxicated for comedy clubs). We saw 3 different comedians there and had great seats at the show! Afterwards we went to a random bar on 88th for a couple of beers and departed around 2:00 am. I tried to take the subway home, but I felt a little creeped out and tired of waiting for the train so I took a cab home instead. Don't worry Scott I was extremely aware of my surroundings!
Now it is Sunday afternoon and my roommates are still sleeping! Geez O Peterson! I think today I will get my affairs in order as I begin my internship tomorrow, do a practice run through of my commute to the MoMA and maybe hit up the Gagosian Gallery on Madison which I have been dying to go see!
I've had a blast so far and am trying to keep busy so I don't get lonely...I miss you all very much!
xx
yesssssssssssssssssssssss. glad youre back at it. xo
ReplyDeleteI am glad to see that Jeff and I (aka Mr. & Mrs. Guy)have the influence to get you writing again...wonderful. Already, it is well worth it!
ReplyDeleteIn the few short days since being there, I believe you're finding that New Yorkers certainly appreciate a girl with fashion style - lest you forget our addiction to Sex & the City, I really do not find it surprising. I do think it's hysterical that they are so intense about letting you know! Quite fun! Don't let them down!
So wise to take a cab home rather than the subway at 2 a.m. Smart as well as fashionable -- wonderful!